|Homemade DNA Kit
|Collecting your child's DNA can be simple and free.
Please follow carefully all directions.
|In the event your child is missing, please give this kit to your local law enforcement or the FBI.
- 2 heavy duty zip lock freezer bags
- Latex gloves
- Q-Tip type swabs
- Fingernail clipper
- Plain white paper
DNA Sample will keep for many years, maybe forever.
- Cut 20 or so head hairs close to the scalp and wrap in paper. (You do not need the hair root)
- Clip fingernails and wrap in paper.
- To collect buccal swabs ( From inside the child's mouth), follow this carefully:
- Make sure the child doesn't eat or drink anything for about � hour priorto taking sample
- Wear latex gloves
- Collect sample by rolling swab around inside the cheek for about 10 seconds. Place on paper to air dry (30-60 minutes)
- Take 2 samples from each cheek and air dry.
- Place 4 dried Q-tips in zip lock bag.
- Place hair samples, fingernails and Q-tip baggy in second zip lock bag.
- Label bag with: the child's name, date of collection and who took the sample.
- Store in freezer
|These instructions came from Special Agent Joseph Errera,
a forensic expert at the FBI Academy in Quantico, Virginia.